[pulseaudio-discuss] Finally got it! was: Re: Pulseaudio - no sound

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Mon Mar 10 02:52:13 PDT 2008

Jim Carter wrote:
> On Sun, 9 Mar 2008, Stefan Czinczoll wrote:
>
>> Got it running at the end! The clue was to start pulseaudio not as user,
>> but as root...
>
>> $ pulseaudio --daemonize
>> [WARN 11203] polkit-session.c:144:polkit_session_set_uid(): session != NULL
>>  Not built with -rdynamic so unable to print a backtrace
>> E: polkit.c: Cannot set UID on session object.
>> etc.
>
> I think a better solution is probably to cause yourself to have the needed
> privileges.  In my case (with PulseAudio-0.9.6, SuSE 10.2, PolicyKit-0.2)
> it was sufficient to put my own loginID in the pulse-rt group, i.e.
> /etc/group says:
>     pulse-rt:!:601:pulse,root,jimc

The pulse-rt group should not be needed with policy-kit (group based
privs and policykit based privs are two separate systems AFAIK) but I
think your approach is generally correct and that starting pulse as root
is *not* the right solution to this problem.

It's possibly that you have been caught by a permissions problem that
was in cooker due to udev a while back (but it's been solved for a while).

Come on to #mandriva-cooker IRC and I'll try and help you debug this now
that it's apparent that the hardware is physically working :)