[pulseaudio-discuss] GStreamer + "Frozen" streams + memory eating

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Tue Mar 25 18:36:09 PDT 2008

On Tue, 04.03.08 09:45, Colin Guthrie (gmane at colin.guthr.ie) wrote:

> I initially put this down to g-p-m doing something silly, but looking at
> the sound code there is very little in the way of loops and it just
> off-loads to gstreamer.
>
> Last night, I noticed that a similar thing had happened but this time I
> had lots of pidgin streams "saved up". I started killing them and the
> same thing happened, pidgin started going nuts and eating ram.
>
> So the common factor is gstreamer. Does anyone have any info on this?
>
> I'm using gstreamer0.10-pulse-0.9.7 + pulseaudio 0.9.8

To my knowledge this is indeed an ALSA issue: after resume the PCM
device is not properly restarted by the kernel drivers. PA doesn't
notice that, ALSA never asks for new audio data, all current and new
audio streams appear stuck.

In theory ALSA defines a proper state machine for dealing with system
suspends. The issue is just that it doesn't work on some drivers on
some hardware.

Please report this issue to ALSA upstream if it persists with the
newest ALSA driver.