[pulseaudio-discuss] Windows

Alex Malinovich demonbane at the-love-shack.net
Sun Mar 30 16:30:36 PDT 2008

On Sun, 2008-03-30 at 18:34 -0400, Matt D wrote:
> I use VNC tunneled under ssh to use my linux box from an WinXP laptop.
> For remote sound, I am trying to use Pulse Audio. I got it to work on
> my linux box, and from my linux box to laptop on an Ubuntu livecd, but
> I cannot get it to work from Linux to XP. I have been searching and
> trying for the past two days to get it to work. Anyone have any ideas?

Well, it definitely CAN be done. :) When I boot into XP I use a remote X
connection to my other PC to get a proper desktop to work with, and I
use pulse to get my sound across. Doing it through an SSH tunnel is
going to complicate it slightly but it should still be very doable.

Here's a brief writeup I did a few months ago on connecting pulse on an
XP box to a Linux box running ESD.

http://www.the-love-shack.net/2007/08/23/forwarding-esd-played-sounds-to-a-remote-machine/

The only difference with connecting pulse-to-pulse instead of
pulse-to-esd is that instead of using ESPEAKER you'll want to use
PULSE_SERVER. Hope that helps.

--
Alex Malinovich
pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837