[pulseaudio-discuss] Moving sources and sinks

Nick Thompson rextanka at comcast.net
Thu May 1 11:14:10 PDT 2008

Hi there,

I have a system where I need to move sources to different sinks
according to a policy.  I thought I'd try this out using pacmd before
I  start trying to code this up with pulse, put pacmd does not behave
as expected (by me :).

I tried the following command in pacmd:

 >>> move-sink-input 0 hdaAudio.monitor
No sink input found with this index.

When I list the sinks and sources I get the output listed below.

Is anyone familiar with pacmd.  According to the help, this looks as
if it should work.

Eventually I want to publish several virtual devices, route them to a
mixer (possibly via an SRC) and route the mixer output to a specific
ALSA sink.  I need two instances of mixers so that I can mix some
streams to one output device and some streams to another.  I need to
be able to dynamically rout the entire output to another ALSA sink
depending on the policy set.  I'd also like to rout sources to the
different mixer instances as required.  If I can do routing within a
single mixer instance, so much the better.  Is Pulse capable of this
or do I need to find another route to implement this.

Thanks for any advice,

Nick

here is the output of list for sources and sinks:

 >>> list-sources
3 source(s) available.
     index: 0
         name: <usbAudio.monitor>