[pulseaudio-discuss] pulse <=> esd+alsa!?

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Sat May 3 05:56:34 PDT 2008

Dennis Heuer wrote:
> hello,
>
> am new to pulse and wonder about all the opportunities and
> compatibilities. However, what really makes me question is the alsa
> plugin. Can pulse substitute alsa (except the drivers), and is there
> some concurrency or future plan in respect to alsa. There was no
> roadmap or future statement at the wiki, so I please you to write
> something about that.

I don't really know what you are asking here.

ALSA is and will remain the low level interface to the sound hardware.
Pulse will never replace that part.

It's up to client applications if they want to support only pulse or
alsa APIs which is a choice external to pulse.

Not sure if that addresses what you were asking :)