[pulseaudio-discuss] Moving sources and sinks

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Tue May 6 12:17:56 PDT 2008

On Sat, 03.05.08 15:05, Tomas Carnecky (tom at dbservice.com) wrote:

> Colin Guthrie wrote:
> > I disagree that this community is unresponsive. You just have to be
> > patient. Lennart is the main developer but he does not sit slavishly
> > reading the mailing list and responding immediately. He'll usually have
> > a big purge every couple weeks, but generally does respond to almost
> > everyone who asks something, unless someone else has jumped in already.
>
> PulseAudio + Wine is still a big no-no. Like described in my earlier
> mail to this mailing list (sent 24.2.2008) I've come to a point where I
> don't know any further and asked for help. Nobody answered. Not even to
> the ticket in PA trac or the ticket in the alsa bugtracker.

I could repeat here what I wrote in response to Nick
Thompson. Complaining about Free Software is nothing that makes you
any friends in the community.

I am not using wine myself, and haven't looked into fixing this. I had
a quick peek into it though. They did almost everything wrong that you
can do wrong if you care about supporting more than a single backend
driver for your ALSA code. They made invalid assumptions about mixer
tracks, they use the super-ugly and not-portable
snd_async_add_pcm_handler() where it is almost guranteed that people
get it wrong (because those handlers are run from signal handler
context, which has some very special semantics, ranging from errno
handling to a lot of other things) and a lot more. It is nearly
impossible to write a backend for ALSA that works with applications
like these. Basically, the task is to clean up WINE's ALSA use, before
looking on the PA backend for libasound.

I do acknowledge though that the PA plugin for libasound is not
perfect. There are some issues in ioplug and one one in the backend
itself that I am aware of.