[pulseaudio-discuss] SHM Error Messages

Jim Duda jim at duda.tzo.com
Tue May 6 17:39:41 PDT 2008

Lennart Poettering wrote:
> On Sun, 20.04.08 21:04, Jim Duda (jim at duda.tzo.com) wrote:
>
>> I don't know what I have done now, but suddenly sound stopped working on
>> my desktop fc8 computer.  I must have changed some setting ...
>>
>> I'm getting this message in /var/log/messages whenever I try to play
>> anything.  Can anyone tell me what this message indicates?
>>
>>   pstream.c: Recieved SHM frame on a socket where SHM is disabled.
>
> Yepp. this is some issue in PA. I am the one to blame. I think there's
> even a bug filed about this. The PA client code makes different
> assumptions after auth then the server code does. You probably
> triggered this by accessing PA from different user ID?

This is possible.  On my computer, I many times toggle between my
normal user and "root".  I might have attempted to play something
from "root".

I ended up resolving this issue on the computer in question by
running the PA daemon in --system mode.  After doing so, everything
started working normally again.