[pulseaudio-discuss] Alsa-emulation for pulse does not work with Adobe Flash, libflashsupport unstable

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Thu May 8 05:26:03 PDT 2008

João Paulo Rechi Vita wrote:
> That's strange. I've upgrated my ubuntu from gutsy (7.10) to hardy
> (8.04), and I've gotten sound on flash (and skype also) working
> out-of-the-box. I'm using pulseaudio 0.9.10-1ubuntu1,
> flashplugin-nonfree 9.0.124.0ubuntu2 and firefox 3.0b5.
>
> I've posted a screenshot of PulseAudio Volume Control showing the
> Flash audio stream here:
> http://www.students.ic.unicamp.br/~ra016378/flash_with_pulse.png

Your screen shot show the stream name as "Adobe Flash: Flash Animation"
which indicates that it is *not* going through the ALSA layer (otherwise
it would have "ALSA" in the stream name).

This means you are using libflashsupport (I suspect it's installed?).
Which works 90% of the time fine (I use it all the time). It does have
the downside that Adobe's implementation of this API is buggy in
relation to the tearing down of streams so it occasionally crashes. As
you are using nspluginwrapper, when this happens it wont take firefox
down with it (which it does if nspluginwrapper is not used).

I know some people that use nspluginwrapper on i586 to prevent crashes
from plugins killing their FF session which is a neat little trick. FF
should protect users from this internally, and of course it should crash
in the first place.