[pulseaudio-discuss] Permanently binding an application to a sink?

timo dmtimo at gmail.com
Sun Nov 2 07:07:43 PST 2008

Hi,

I'm wondering if there is any way to permanently bind an application
to a specified sink.

I have 2 audio output devices; a built-in soundcard which is connected
to my desk speakers,
and a high-end external USB-audio device that is connected to my main
amp and living room
speakers. What i'm looking for is way to always route my mp3/flac
player applications
(rhythmbox, audacious, etc) to the external audio device, while all
other applications use
the default sink, which would in this case be the internal sound card.

At the moment i'm pointing the streams to the appropriate sink using
pavucontrol, but i
have to do that every time the stream starts, otherwise it will revert
back to the default sink.
So i'm basically looking for a way to make these choices permanent, any ideas?