[pulseaudio-discuss] Pulseaudio-Csound-Solaris

Sergio Serge.Coche at free.fr
Sun Nov 2 10:21:32 PST 2008

Hi all,

I intend to use Pulseaudio with Csound5 on Solaris/sparc.

For the moment i have some difficulties to perform that fully, but i
think that they should really solvable. Of course i asked also the
question on the Csound forum, but i'm very interested to read as
possible what do you think about.

1) First question, launching Pulseaudio, seems that correct ?

bash-3.00# /usr/local/bin/64/pulseaudio/pulseaudio -vv
W: This program is not intended to be run as root (unless --system is
specified).
I: device opened in O_RDWR mode.
I: created 0 "solaris_input" with sample spec "s16be 2ch 44100Hz"
I: created 0 "solaris_output" with sample spec "s16be 2ch 44100Hz"
I: created 1 "solaris_output.monitor" with sample spec "s16be 2ch 44100Hz"
I: Loaded "module-solaris" (index: #0; argument: "device=/dev/audio").
I: loaded 1 modules.
I: Loaded "module-detect" (index: #1; argument: "").
I: Loaded "module-esound-protocol-unix" (index: #2; argument: "").
I: loading cookie from disk.
I: Loaded "module-native-protocol-unix" (index: #3; argument: "").
I: starting with empty ruleset.
I: Loaded "module-volume-restore" (index: #4; argument: "").
I: Loaded "module-rescue-streams" (index: #5; argument: "").
I: Loaded "module-gconf" (index: #6; argument: "").
I: Daemon startup complete.
I: Unloading "module-detect" (index: #1).
I: Unloaded "module-detect" (index: #1).

I need to precise that for the moment i changed nothing in any of the
three config files. So, at this point i'm able to play immediately (and
good) with Paplay any .wav file i have, by example any provided by my
Csound installation.

2) Now, most interessant, Csound can not only provide .wav files, but
also has realtime rendering feature using by example Pulseaudio.

My problem is following :

- launching Csound to provides (there is a musical compilation process
inside) a .wav file, all OK ;
- launching Pulseaudio as background run, and after that launching
Csound as client for Pulseaudio, it starts, begins the process but stops
after 10 or 15 seconds. No sound at this point, but this can be normal
with so a short time.

Here the output from Pulseaudio :

I: created 5 "Native client (UNIX socket client)"
I: client 5 changed name from "Native client (UNIX socket client)" to
"csound"
I: Restoring volume for <pulsecore/protocol-native.c$csound>
I: Restoring sink for <pulsecore/protocol-native.c$csound>
I: created 5 "csound-out" on solaris_output with sample spec float32le
2ch 44100Hz
D: Memory block too large for pool: 1048576 > 16368
D: memblockq requested: maxlength=264600, tlength=176400, base=8,
prebuf=174636, minreq=1764
D: memblockq sanitized: maxlength=264600, tlength=176400, base=8,
prebuf=174640, minreq=1760

and here it stops at the same moment as Csound.

- the "Memory block too large for pool: 1048576 > 16368" can be
worrying, but i have it also playing Csound .wav files and in this case
the sound is still good and uninterrupted.

- trying several experiences with the latency related Csound options, in
some cases i get some parasit sound, that means that there is really a
connection btw Csound and Pulseaudio. Also, the Pulsaudio output
confirms that.

- at last, it appears that the couple Csound-Pulseaudio works greatly
under Linux, so i would be particularly interested by the ideas anyone
having experimented Pulseaudio on Solaris from.

If you have a bit time to think all that about, can you tell me if that
gives you any idea at any way i can try to learn more ?

Cheers,

Sergio