[pulseaudio-discuss] volume limiter - is this possible in pulseaudio?

Sanjeev Sharma throwit1 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 23 00:38:42 PST 2008

I'd like to set a maximum volume above which sound may never go.

for example If I'm surfing the web at 2 am & someone thinks it's cool to
have a LOUD midi file play automatically, the volume of that should not be
allowed above my set limit.

If I'm listening to some quiet pieces & have the volume turned up,  I'd like
to have this limiter so I don't wake up everybody in the house at 4 am if I
stumble on a web page that thinks playing a MIDI or shockwave file as loud
as possible is the coolest thing in the world.

ALSO if I'm wearing earphones I'd like for my eardrums NOT to be perforated
in this same circumstance