[pulseaudio-discuss] volume limiter - is this possible in pulseaudio?

Sanjeev Sharma throwit1 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 24 16:43:58 PST 2008

Yes, thanks.  I was trying to put that into words - the volume sliders
change (multiply or divide) all volumes up or down

for example, you listen to a quiet piece of music and turn up the volume in
the output device tab (or any volume setting, actually.

The next piece is especially loud, and it blows your ears out.   It could
have been recorded that way, or somebody decided to mix it up or down or
whatever.   A limiter would not play sounds above a certain volume, leaving
all other sounds alone (not reducing or amplifying).

 I don't know if the best thing is to
1 clip at some limit (which would sound harsh)
2 or see if a sample is above the limit and just drop the sample (not send
it to the device at all) and go to the next sample