[pulseaudio-discuss] libcanberra should be an optional dependency for pavucontrol

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Mon Oct 6 05:09:24 PDT 2008

Ozan Çağlayan wrote:
> The GIT branch of pavucontrol and the latest stable release strictly
> depends on libcanberra for managing the event sounds' volume. I think
> that this dependency should be made "optional" so that the distributions
> with KDE desktop environment can compile it without depending on
> libcanberra.

I agree (ish). While libcanberra is the defacto implementation of the
sound theme spec, it is just an implementation and if an alternative
library is written (e.g. for use in Qt - and yes I know it would make
more sense to use libcanberra for Qt, but this is just "in theory" ;))
that also implements the spec, then pavucontrol would not compile there.

That said, libcanberra itself is very easy to compile and if pavucontrol
is just using it as an implementation of the spec in order to generate
an appropriate UI, then IMO I think that's fine and you should just
compile libcanberra and ship it.

I guess the bigger question of "do you want the sound theme part of the
pavucontrol UI compiled when the desktop does not support it" is really
what needs answered.

   Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]