[pulseaudio-discuss] sink/source automatic switching policy between different devices

Zhang, Xing Z xing.z.zhang at intel.com
Tue Oct 14 23:13:57 PDT 2008

Hi All:
        I am thinking about how to implement sink/source automatic switching policy in PA. For mobile device, it may have several output devices such as speaker, wired headset, Bluetooth headset and so on.
        People may want to audio stream automatically re-direct to new device they plug in. For example, while I play a MP3 with embedded speaker I want to the music automatically output through Bluetooth headset once I plug it in.
        After a rough looking into the source, I think the mechanism used by module-hal-detect.so, module-bluetooth-discover.so and "move-sink-input" could help me to achieve the goal. That means a new module may be written.
        But, the problem is different users may want different policies. For instance, somebody may want to speaker automatically muted when wired headset plugged in, while others may want speaker go on playing. So a new module is hard to provide dynamic policy for different people because once it complied all things are hard coding. A feasible way is the module reads in a configure file to decide to provide what policy. I am afraid the configure file may make things complicated so I consult you is there an easier way? Many thanks in advance :)

Zhang Xin(Wing)
Intel, OTC ShangHai