[pulseaudio-discuss] Pulse Audio crashes

Sean McNamara smcnam at gmail.com
Sun Oct 26 08:10:27 PDT 2008

On Sun, Oct 26, 2008 at 5:57 AM, Colin Guthrie <gmane at colin.guthr.ie> wrote:
> Scott Castaline wrote:
>> Colin Guthrie wrote:
>>> They will be there but they may have some different names... like
>>> gdm-devel or whatever. Hunt around you'll find them.
>>
>> Did & done

>>> I'd actually strongly advise you *against* using /usr as a prefix. This
>>> is the distro prefix where officially installed packages live. If you
>>> want to build your own stuff from source, I'd recomment using /usr/local
>>> or (and this is my personal preference) I'd use a random location e.g.
>>> /home/colin/pulse-trunk as my prefix. When I'm done I can just remove
>>> that folder and I've tided up everything. If you use /usr and you want
>>> to tidy up or revert to the distro version you'll have to go around and
>>> tidy things up manually which is both very difficult and time consuming.
>>
>> Too late already had done. All dependencies installed and pulseaudio was
>> configured, compiled, and installed as instructed by Sean McNamara.
>> Pulse will not start. When I start from gnome term I get the following:
>>
>> I: caps.c: Limited capabilities successfully to CAP_SYS_NICE.
>> I: caps.c: Dropping root priviliges.
>> I: caps.c: Limited capabilities successfully to CAP_SYS_NICE.
>> E: module.c: Failed to open module "module-esound-protocol-unix":
>> libsocket-util.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
>> E: main.c: Module load failed.
>> E: main.c: Failed to initialize daemon
>>
>> Any suggestions as to where I should be looking?

Yes, you may have to delete all .so files in
/usr/lib/pulse-0.9/modules and then run `make install` again.

You might also try the simple solution of commenting out the line

load-module module-esound-protocol-unix

from /etc/pulse/default.pa. You won't have esd compatibility then, but
everything else should work.

Sean