[pulseaudio-discuss] Monitor devices and unconnected sources.

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Sun Oct 26 10:44:17 PDT 2008

On Fri, 24.10.08 12:39, Knut-Håvard Aksnes (kna at tirsdagsklubben.nu) wrote:

> I am working on an application where I listen to monitor interfaces. The
> audio stream is intended to be merged with other AV streams later down
> the processing pipeline using third party code, (open source but quite
> complex to understand and modify). My problem is that the application
> connecting to the pulse audio monitor might or might not send audio,
> depending on user input, if it doesn't send audio it won't connect to
> the pulse audio source, the application might also disconnect the audio
> based on user input, before terminating itself. (Audio is handled by
> plugins that might get loaded and unloaded based on user input)
>
> My problem is that I really need to receive silence (zero filled audio )
> instead of empty packages from the monitor interface when no sources is
> connected. Is it possible to configure pulse audio to give me this?

A simple possibility is not to load module-suspend-on-idle. Only when
an audio devcie is suspended you won't get any data from it.

I have thought of modifying module-suspend-on-idle in a way that it
won't suspend a sink as long as a stream is connected to its monitor
source. However, in the case of module-rtp-send this would be bad.

Hmm, I'll probably add a new flag for streams. Something called
"DONT_INHIBIT_AUTO_SUSPEND" or so which would then be set for RTP
streams but not for yours. If that flag is enabled PA will ignore the
stream when decideing whether a sink/source should be autosuspended.