[pulseaudio-discuss] Monitor devices and unconnected sources.

Knut-Håvard Aksnes kna at tirsdagsklubben.nu
Mon Oct 27 07:59:47 PDT 2008

Lennart Poettering wrote:
> On Fri, 24.10.08 12:39, Knut-Håvard Aksnes (kna at tirsdagsklubben.nu) wrote:
>

>> I am working on an application where I listen to monitor interfaces. The
>> audio stream is intended to be merged with other AV streams later down
>> the processing pipeline using third party code, (open source but quite
>> complex to understand and modify). My problem is that the application
>> connecting to the pulse audio monitor might or might not send audio,
>> depending on user input, if it doesn't send audio it won't connect to
>> the pulse audio source, the application might also disconnect the audio
>> based on user input, before terminating itself. (Audio is handled by
>> plugins that might get loaded and unloaded based on user input)
>>
>> My problem is that I really need to receive silence (zero filled audio )
>> instead of empty packages from the monitor interface when no sources is
>> connected. Is it possible to configure pulse audio to give me this?
>>

> A simple possibility is not to load module-suspend-on-idle. Only when
> an audio devcie is suspended you won't get any data from it.

Does this work if the module is unloaded after the devices is created
but before the stream is opened or must the device be unloaded before
creation of the audio devices?

I am working on monitors to module-null-sinks and when unloading the
module-suspend-on-idle after creation of the null-sink I get a monitor
device that's started suspended. After calling:
       pa_context_suspend_source_by_index(pa_stream_get_context(s),
                          pa_stream_get_index(s),
                          0,
                          pulseaudio_resume_callback,
                          userdata);

the callback function reports failure.
I am using pulseaudio 0.9.10 on a fedora 9 machine.