[pulseaudio-discuss] Intel HDA on ubuntu 9.04 beta

Jon Smirl jonsmirl at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 16:38:41 PDT 2009

On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 4:49 PM, Mark Greenwood <fatgerman at ntlworld.com> wrote:
>> Indeed there are. This guy has 0.9.15-test7 for Jaunty, along with updated alsa libs to support it.
>>
>> https://launchpad.net/~themuso/+archive/ppa
>>
>> You may need a Launchpad login to access it. I haven't tried it myself (yet).
>
> OK I have now tried it, with only mild success. I can't get audio out of my speakers unless I explicitly specify 5.1 surround (it defaults to stereo) and then it is deafening and the volume controls don't work. Not sure exactly what's happening. I wouldn't reccommend trying this unless you are confident you can 'go back'.

I've had much more success with it. I'm running it right now on ubuntu
9.04 beta. I've only noticed two problems...

The 32bit alsa compatibility libs for 64b don't have the obsolete
symbols exported so skype won't run. These are in the code, they just
weren't exported during the build process. 32b flash works.

jonsmirl at terra:~$ readelf -W -s /usr/bin/skype | grep
snd_pcm_hw_params_get_channels_min
  466: 00000000    57 FUNC    GLOBAL DEFAULT  UND
snd_pcm_hw_params_get_channels_min at ALSA_0.9.0rc4 (17)

Second, if I switch my profile from S/PDIF to analog out, and then
back to S/PDIF, S/PDIF output is not restored. Restart pulse and it
will come back.

I wish ubuntu would consider this for 9.04. Profiles have fixed my
main complaint about pulse. This is a major positive advance for
usability.

I wonder if pulse could get smarter an use jack sense to not default
to analog out on my box when first installed? There's nothing plugged
into the analog out jacks.

--
Jon Smirl
jonsmirl at gmail.com