[pulseaudio-discuss] Pulseaudio apps (Audacious) over SSH

John Lane pulseaudio at jelmail.com
Thu Apr 9 15:52:52 PDT 2009

Hello, I am new to Pulseaudio and so far like what I see. I am using
Ubuntu but I am running a custom install on top of a command line
install. I run Openbox as the base of my X11 environment.

I have Audacious set up and working with Pulseaudio over the network. I
have two machines, one running the Pulseaudio server daemon and another
which has Audacious on it.

I can start an X session (using XDMCP) to the machine with Audacious and
I can play some music and have it come out of the other machine. Great.

Pm problem occurs when trying to do the same over SSH. If I start an ssh
(using ssh -X) session to the machine with Audacious, I can start it (I
see the gui) but playing anything results in the below error:
Code:

MADPlug-Message: failed to open audio output: XMMS reverse compatibility output plugin

what is different about the ssh session that prevents this from working ?

any help much appreciated.