[pulseaudio-discuss] pulseaudio system requirements?

Tim Redfern tim at eclectronics.org
Mon Apr 13 07:19:08 PDT 2009

Hi I'm trying to set up pulseaudio on a small linux box and although its
working, the audio keeps stopping and starting constantly. When the
stream is playing the cpu use of pulseaudio is >50% which I presume is
bad.

The machine is an NSLU2, 266mhz arm with 32MB ram running debian lenny
(pulseaudio version 9.10.4). - I see in previous discussions on this
list that it should be possible to use pulseaudio on small devices
without an fpu. I'm running pulseaudio from the CLI, the only modules
I'm loading are:

load-module module-alsa-sink rate=48000
load-module module-native-protocol-tcp auth-anonymous=1

I'm connecting to it with 802.11g - ralink module on the NSLU2 and intel
wifi on the laptop.

I've tried everything I can see in terms of resampling the stream coming
out of audacious, setting the option --resample-method=speex-fixed-0 ...

Are there any other options I could try?
Has anyone sucessfully run pulseaudio on a 'slug?

Thanks

Tim Redfern