[pulseaudio-discuss] PulseAudio and Bluetooth

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Thu Apr 16 12:26:31 PDT 2009

Heya!

Before even more people ask me about this:

So you want to get BT audio working with PA? Then please make sure to
run the following minimal versions:

    bluez 4.35
    pulseaudio 0.9.15 (final!)
    gnome-bluetooth 2.27.4
    kernel 2.6.29 with http://cvs.fedoraproject.org/viewvc/devel/kernel/git-bluetooth.patch?revision=1.2 applied

Note that during the PA build process we don't check for any of these
versions. It's your job to make everything is there!

If you run anything older then this, then it won't work!

  *** Alternatively, just upgrade to Fedora Rawhide and everything is
  already set up properly for you ***

Also, ISSC dongles seem to be broken with HSP/HFP audio.

If all of this is installed then all that is needed is pairing the
headset/headphones and activating it via the Bluetooth applet. PA will then pick
up the device automatically. You can use pavucontrol's 'configuration'
tab to switch between hsp/hfp and a2dp.

If things don't work for you, then run 'pulseaudio -vvvv' as normal
user in one terminal and 'bluetoothd -nd' as root in another
terminal and have a look at the debug output while you connect the
headset. If you cannot make sense of it, paste it somewhere and ask
for help on #pulseaudio on freenode. It might be necessary to kill
pa/bluetoothd first before you run the commands mentioned.