[pulseaudio-discuss] Variable resample rate

s.jansen at gmail.com s.jansen at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 17:14:05 PDT 2009

My audio hardware supports multiple sample rates (44.1khz, 48khz,96khz) and I thought it would be nice if pulseaudio can automatically adjust the global resample rate based on the incoming stream(s). This to avoid any unneeded resampling if the hardware is capable of accepting the requested sample rate.  A simple scheme would be to set the sample rate to the maximum incoming samplerate of all streams. It would basically automatically scale up and down based on the max rate.

Perhaps audio streams could also be tagged whether or not they prefer to be resampled or not, so you could use that to determine what the optimal sample rate would be. System sounds would be tagged 'dont-care', while audio players might be tagged 'we-care' for example.

For myself, I would prefer if none of my music and movies, which range from 16-bit,44.1khz to 24 bit,96khz, would be resampled, but rather send straight to the audio hardware. I know dmix cannot do this, so maybe there is some hope with pulse...

Cheers,
Sander

--
"And any fool knows a dog needs a home