[pulseaudio-discuss] Pulseaudio server for playing 32-bit chroot sounds on 64-bit host machine

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Thu Apr 23 17:00:27 PDT 2009

On Thu, 23.04.09 09:54, Ng Oon-Ee (ngoonee at gmail.com) wrote:

Please don't post HTML emails to this list!

>    Hi all, first post here but I've been following the list for quite a
>    while.
>
>    Been shifting to a 64-bit setup in Arch Linux, previously used it for a
>    while in Ubuntu with a multi-lib system but went back to 32-bit for a
>    variety of reasons, chiefly work-related. Now willing to try 64-bit again,
>    but with non-64 bit apps safely tucked away in a 32-bit chroot instead of
>    messing around with /lib32 stuff again.

>    Also, when I run pulseaudio in the chroot, I notice /tmp contains two
>    folders named pulse-XXXXXXXX, so I'm guessing that the pulseaudio daemon
>    in the chroot doesn't know that there's already a daemon running and is
>    trying to take control of system devices, hence why I have to disable so
>    many modules since its failure to grab what pulseaudio (64bit) has already
>    taken causes errors.

You should run only one PA instance, not two. Run it in the non-chroot
env. Also, you need to make sure that /tmp, /dev/shm and /home are
shared between the chroot and the non-chroot env.

I'd probably not bother and simply use the TCP transport. Enable it
via paprefs in the non-chroot environment, and make sure
~/.pulse-cookie is the same for both envs.