[pulseaudio-discuss] limits on maximum device volume?

CJ van den Berg cj at vdbonline.com
Mon Apr 27 04:04:37 PDT 2009

On Sat, Apr 25, 2009 at 02:53:30AM +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> What this boils down to is:
>
>   If you change the volume of a stream, you just change the volume of
>   that one stream for now and for the future. It won't have any effect
>   on the volume of *other* existing or future streams.
>
>   If you change the volume of a sink, you change the volume of all
>   streams on it at the same time for now and for the future. It will
>   have a direct effect on existing or future streams.

That might be the *intended* behaviour, but the current pulseaudio in
rawhide definitely doesn’t actually work that way. Let walk you through
what happens here:

1. Sink volume 60%, with no streams playing. Just to be sure I move it
manually to 65%.

2. Start an mpd stream. Sink volume drops to 37% (why?). Mpd’s stream
volume is also 37%.

3. 37% is too low, so I turn up the sink volume to 65% again. Mpd’s
stream volume also moves to 65%.

4. I stop the MPD stream. The sink volume stays at 65%.

5. Start totem. Sink volume jumps to 85% (and blows my eardrums).
Totem’s stream volume is also 85%.

6. Stop totem. Sink volume drops to 65% (huh?).

Now, in step 3 I clearly set the *sink* volume manually to 65%. Which
pulse apparently ignored when the totem stream started. I don’t see how
this fits into your described behaviour above. The net effect of all
this is that the sink volume jumps around, pretty much on every new
stream startup. Which is annoying as hell.

--
CJ van den Berg

mailto:cj at vdbonline.com
  xmpp:cj at vdbonline.com