[pulseaudio-discuss] PA 0.9.15 breaks skype again

Maxim Levitsky maximlevitsky at gmail.com
Mon Apr 27 14:48:47 PDT 2009

On Mon, 2009-04-27 at 14:37 +0100, Colin Guthrie wrote:
> 'Twas brillig, and Maxim Levitsky at 26/04/09 13:49 did gyre and gimble:
> > 0.9.14 seems finally to work fine with skype for both recording and
> > playback.
> >
> > I installed alsa-lib 1.0.19, and still skype works fine.
> > (I had very starange issue with skype crashing when it uses some very
> > old api, and it seems that if I take 1.0.19 lib32 package, and manually
> > copy libasound.so from it, then it works, otherwise something in dpkg
> > strips out these symbols - very strange)
> >

> > Still, works fine, but now with PA 0.9.15, it often hangs, and also I
> > noticed very hight > 100% volumes in pavucontrol, also if I
> > remove ./.pulse this helps temporary, (eg, next time skype starts
> > normally and appears to work, but it works for maybe few minutes, then
> > same happens)
> >
> > Is this known?
>
> I've had reports that the the skype "support" was broken between test8
> and final of 0.9.15.
>
> As I have a 64 bit machine it's actually a bit of a pain to run a git
> bisect, but you should try building test 8 and then test7 to see if it
> starts working again with one of those and then run git bisect to find
> the problem commit. It could be something simple that could be supported
> without too much trouble, but skypes alsa implementation is apparently
> pretty shocking, so supporting things like this, especially when the
> Skype developers completely ignore the linux community's pleas for
> support, is not exactly going to be easy.

I also have 64-bit system, how it worse?

I will bisect, but for now I have some troubles, namely ubuntu patched
the PA.

They seem to install few alsa config files.

I put them to /usr/share alsa manually, and also edited the ./.asoundrc,
yet I can play sound with aplay -D pulse, but skype emits no sound at
all, I feel that this is due to missing patches. I take a deeper look at
this sightly later.
(skype even refused to show pulse device it its settings till I added it
to .asoundrc)

As for skype attitude, I fully agree, but I have to use it due to other
end.

Best regards,
	Maxim Levitsky