[pulseaudio-discuss] Pulse Jack module, dies sometimes on mpc toggle

Ng Oon-Ee ngoonee at gmail.com
Wed Apr 29 07:38:49 PDT 2009

Ng Oon-Ee wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm using module-jack-sink and module-jack-source such that Pulse is
> running above my Jack server. It doesn't give problems about half the
> time, but sometimes the sound from my mpd server just dies. This is
> because the pulse daemon has crashed and died (as shown by different
> PID of pulseaudio before and after this happens). I've tried to run
> pulseaudio in a terminal instead of daemonized, and in that situation
> I can almost guaruntee a crash almost as soon as I start playing,
> though if I start pulse with pulseaudio --start it seems to be able to
> work for a much longer period of time.
>
> In case it matters, my default.pa does NOT load module-hal-detect,
> module-alsa-sink/source, or module-jack-sink/source, but the other
> default modules are loaded. I have two scripts, pulse-nojack and
> pulse-withjack, which would check for a running Jack server and
> start/kill depending on the needs of the situation, as well as
> load/unload the modules as needed.
>
> I'm quite at a lost on how to analyze the situation, since there seems
> to be a difference between running pulseaudio --start (which if I'm
> not wrong is the same as pulseaudio, except it checks for a running
> daemon, which I can confirm does NOT exist before running the command)
> and just running pulseaudio.
Apologies for another email immediately after the previous, but I was
just trying things out in another machine, in which pulse does NOT
crash, but multiple error messages are emitted at the point where
presumably my laptop would have crashed:-

JackEngine::XRun: client = PulseAudio JACK Sink was not run: state = 2
JackEngine::XRun: client = PulseAudio JACK Sink was not run: state = 1
JackEngine::XRun: client = PulseAudio JACK Sink was not run: state = 1
JackEngine::XRun: client = PulseAudio JACK Sink was not run: state = 1
JackEngine::XRun: client = PulseAudio JACK Sink was not run: state = 1
JackEngine::XRun: client = PulseAudio JACK Sink was not run: state = 1
JackAudioDriver:: ProcessAsync Process error

Those are the only 3 lines I see, and they repeat in no discernable pattern.