[pulseaudio-discuss] Listening music remotely

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Aug 3 14:24:52 PDT 2009

On Sat, 01.08.09 18:34, Girish Hilage (girish_hilage at persistent.co.in) wrote:

> Hi,
>
>    I want to be able to listen the songs that are being played on a
> Fedora-8 Machine from the Windows machine.
>    I already have pulseaudio-0.9.8-5.fc8 installed on my FC8
> machine.

Uh. Fedora 8 is archaic and not supported anymore by the Fedora
Project. Heck, even Fedora 9 is not supported anymore:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/End_of_life

It is really not recommended to run old unupported versions of
distributions and software. This is both a security risk and also
makes it very hard for us upstream to respond to questions, since that
version is really very very old.

>    Now, the problem I have is :
>    1. In my pulseaudio applet on FC8 I do not see any option
>       (PA applet -> Default Server -> Other) as mentioned in the
>       FAQ.

The PA vesion for windws does not support zeroconf. The port was very
minimal and not kept up to date.

> DISCLAIMER ========== This e-mail may contain privileged and
> confidential information which is the property of Persistent Systems
> Ltd. It is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to
> which it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you
> are not authorized to read, retain, copy, print, distribute or use
> this message. If you have received this communication in error,
> please notify the sender and delete all copies of this
> message. Persistent Systems Ltd. does not accept any liability for
> virus infected mails.

I'll take the liberty to ignore this disclaimer blurb. You shouldn't
be posting anything on an ML if this is meant seriously.

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net