[pulseaudio-discuss] Pulseaudio 0.16-test4 - my experience

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Fri Aug 7 03:42:26 PDT 2009

'Twas brillig, and Maxim Levitsky at 07/08/09 09:51 did gyre and gimble:
> On Fri, 2009-08-07 at 09:38 +0100, Colin Guthrie wrote:
>> 'Twas brillig, and Maxim Levitsky at 06/08/09 15:47 did gyre and gimble:
>>> Also, shouldn't pavuconrol not show the notify sound in playback page?
>>> (otherwise it is impossible to change device for a stream)
>> pavucontrol has a volume slider for "System Sounds". This is presented
>> as "mono" however, so you can't change the balance.
>>
>> Also you cannot change the device for system sounds. It's easy enough to
>> do this in the UI, but the rule storage is a bit more awkward... I still
>> need to think a bit about the whole rule thing and how it can be made
>> more flexible for other uses I want to make of it...
>>
>> Col
>
> You didn't understand me at all, please read other mails.

I did and I did... I think you're probably not understanding what I said
(or I didn't explain it fully which is more likely :p)

> With that I have 2 issues:
>
> 1 - when a notify sound is played, it is very briefly displayed as a new
> stream in playback page, just like all other PA streams. This make it
> impossible to change a device for a normal long stream, as soon as I
> click the button, the new stream takes the foucus out, and prevents menu
> from beeing displayed.

In theory, there should be *no* individual listing for this type of
sound under playback (i.e. a brief display should be replaces with no
display whatsoever). The fact that the sound has a "role" that
identifies it as a System Sound, means that it should not exist in it's
own right, but rather be governed by the "System Sounds" widget that
appears at the top of the playback list.

> 2 - all nofify sounds play in my right ear (which is done by libcanberra
> pa plugin, alsa works fine)

Yes I appreciate this problem, but it's not the part of the mail I
responded to.

I was just wanting to aid your understanding of the "System Sounds"
widget in pavucontrol.

   Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]