[pulseaudio-discuss] Assertion 'usec <= ((pa_usec_t) 1000000ULL)*60ULL*60ULL' , failed at pulsecore/rtpoll.c:516

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Aug 10 11:53:18 PDT 2009

On Mon, 10.08.09 21:28, Timo Harmonen (timo.harmonen at iki.fi) wrote:

Yo,

> Basic Jaunty ltsp setup, kernel is 2.6.28-13, alsa-base is
> 1.0.18.dfsg-1ubuntu8.
>
> I will try that "tsched=0" tomorrow. So it should work also
> with module-detect? I haven't dared to change PA start script,
> it is the one used in Jaunty ltsp.
>
> I already replaced that card with some still older card. Probably an
> easier fix than starting to update the alsa drivers :).

Heh, I never understood why people think that old, bitrotten code
could have less bugs than new, maintained code.

snd_pcm_avail()/snd_pcm_rewind()/snd_pcm_delay() and frends tend to be
broken on old drivers/old kernels, since PA is the first client that
actively makes use of them. Parts of APIs that aren't used are
broken. That's true for ALSA as it is true for anything else.

Also, developers don't like to focus on age old hw, so if bugs exist
in old drivers it's a hard time to convince anyone to fix
them. Especially because commercal companies usually ask them to work
on the new drivers, not the old ones.

Also, just trying to work around problems is never doing any good for
helping the bugs to get fixed properly. Please report the bug against
ALSA, and be insistive to get the bug fixed. Even better, try to fix
it yourself!

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net