[pulseaudio-discuss] Bluetooth - A2DP only? Recommended headsets? Jack?

Ng Oon-Ee ngoonee at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 17:45:52 PDT 2009

Hi all, I've been thinking of getting a bluetooth stereo headset for
my laptop. The two I'm considering are the B Speech Calypso (perhaps
SP if its not a big price difference) or the Jabra BT8030. I'm
relatively confident that those will work with Pulse, as I've seen
guides posted up here and there on pairing and sending sound through
Pulse.

Just a few questions on the 'internals' of this, I assume Pulse
communicates with BlueZ and uses A2DP to connect to the headsets? Is
this pulse-specific or are there other ways of connecting (for
example, through alsa, or jack). I'm asking because while I use Pulse
almost all the time, sometimes (in recording or other such things) I
use JACK, and pulseaudio-module-jack is a bit hit-and-miss currently.

Besides that, does anyone here have comments on the models I've shown
above? Any recommendations for something within a similar price range?
I will mainly be using it for listening to music, while most
forums/searches tell me about call-quality instead, which is quite a
different beast.

Thanks.