[pulseaudio-discuss] Bluetooth - A2DP only? Recommended headsets? Jack?

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Fri Aug 14 17:35:45 PDT 2009

On Fri, 14.08.09 11:33, Ng Oon-Ee (ngoonee at gmail.com) wrote:

> > There's an ALSA module for BT. It works for basic stuff, but I'd guess
> > the PA plugin for ALSA plus PA's native BT support actually works
> > better. It's mostly about the timing.
>
> Okay, good to hear. I'm thinking of ALSA as just 'the stuff between
> Pulse and system' nowadays, but may try that out just for novelty
> value.

Of course, I should probably mention that you most likely won't have
much fun with running JACK on that faked device (not that that would
make much sense anyway, though ...). BT and JACK doesn't really fit
together.

> > Motorola S9 is my recommendation. Most others I played around with are
> > crap. I wouldn't buy a cheap one. The Logitech one is a technical
> > disappointment.
> >
> > Lennart
>
> Could I ask what the definition of 'cheap one' is? I'm from Malaysia,
> and we find it difficult to check prices when they're in USD, since
> items which cost the same can have VERY different prices on our shores.
> I'll check the S9 out, but my gut feeling is it may not be easy to find
> here, and I have a natural aversion to in-ears, since I prefer plenty of
> bass and low-freq definition in my music, especially when Q-testing my
> recording sessions.

By "cheap" I meant non-brand devices, only indirectly the
price. I.e. Motorola is a certainly a brand.

OTOH I am pretty sure that non-brand headsets can be good too, and
Logitech shows that brand headsets can be crap too.

Yes the fact that S9 is in-ear makes it a problematic choice. I am not
that fond of that either. But then again, it has relatively good
quality and the A2DP is much nicer implemented than the Logitech, and
it is both A2DP and HSP/HFP.

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net