[pulseaudio-discuss] Bluetooth - A2DP only? Recommended headsets? Jack?

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Sun Aug 16 08:11:25 PDT 2009

On Sun, 16.08.09 22:52, Ng Oon-Ee (ngoonee at gmail.com) wrote:

> On Sat, 2009-08-15 at 17:14 +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> >
> > No. PA does not allow you to connect the JACK and the BT sinks/sources
> > directly. Sorry.
> >
> > Also, this doesn't make much sense anyway. JACK is for audio
> > production. A2DP/BT is certainly completely unsuitable for audio
> > production. It's a spec that is amazingly simple-minded -- it lacks
> > any kind of timing synchronization.<snipped here>
>
> I agree, but simple 'home-level' audio production may certainly be done
> on a Pulse-enabled machine, and not being able to use my Bluetooth
> headphones for that would be a bit of a bother. I saw the other code
> contribution concerning bluetooth source and your comment on direct
> source-to-sink, so I guess eventually Pulse will be able to do that. I
> know, patches welcome, if my skill level gets there I'd be more than
> happy to =).

Given that João Paulo's A2DP source support is coming which to be
really useful needs this interconnection module I am quite sure I'll
be cooking something up very soon.

> > Good question. I only made sure the code works fine with the headsets
> > I personally possess. As I heard it seems to work fine on many
> > headsets, but then again we also have at least one report in the BTS
> > where things don't work (though I assume that is more related to the
> > faulty dongle than to a faulty headset):
> >
> > http://pulseaudio.org/ticket/612
> >
> > I am pretty sure the Nokians have done a bit more testing with various
> > headsets, they might know better. Given that the amount of patches
> > regarding the BT stuff coming from them is not as big as it used to be
> > I'd interpolate that PA's BT support is pretty good now... ;-)
> >
> > Lennart
>
> This is very good to know. Thank you. Dongles are not a concern to me
> personally as I'm on a laptop with built-in and fully-functional (as far
> as I can tell) bluetooth.

With dongle I meant all kind of bt transciever module. Not just those
built with a USB connector.

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net