[pulseaudio-discuss] Sound initialised to 100% for new users == bleeding ears (Console Login)

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Mon Aug 17 13:21:09 PDT 2009

Hi,

Mentioned this briefly on IRC, but for completeness I'll post it here.

I performed this test a totally fresh user account, at the terminal with
no mixers or other users logged in + git master 8f928b (HEAD at time of
writing).

The alsa Master and PCM values are initialised to sensible values during
initial boot. Let's say they PCM is 100% and Master is 60% for arguments
sake.

When pulse first starts, it initialises the Master volume to 100% and as
such it's causing quite a few complaints.

On subsequent loads pulse will restore the devices to what it remembered
last time.

I don't think pulse should initialise the volume on first load, but
rather leave it as it finds it. Is it possible to make this change or
are there other reasons for doing this?

   Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]