[pulseaudio-discuss] Sound initialised to 0% for new users == silence (Graphical Gnome Login)

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Mon Aug 17 13:52:48 PDT 2009

Hi,

Similar to my last mail but the opposite behaviour is noticed here!

This could easily be a g-s-d or a g-v-c-a problem, but I'm not sure how
these ones work internally so opinions welcome. I do however suspect
that it's a result of the first play of a role without a stored volume
rule - could be wrong tho'. I tried to verify this via canberra-gtk-play
+console, but it needs X... I've not yet tried some PULSE_PROP style env
var hacking.

I performed this test a totally fresh user account, at GDM with other
users logged in + git master 8f928b (HEAD at time of writing).

After logging in g-v-c-a is showing the mute symbol despite the
underlying alsa mixer having been previously confirmed ot having a
sensible value (although with current pulse I'd suspect a 100%
initialisation anyway - even if that is not desirable!)

The following behaviour can now be observed:

1. pavucontrol/g-v-c both show all sliders as 0 including the "system
sounds" slider.

2. Running paplay does not restore the volume (so it's silent).

3. Setting the device volume in either pavucontrol or g-v-c allows a
paplay to run and be heard. paplay can be run multiple times without a
problem.

4. Running canberra-gtk-play -i menu-click (for example) will turn the
device volume down again. paplay is then on silent (the canberra sound
could also be triggered organically via (duh!) clicking on a menu).

So there seems to be two problems here:

1. Problem with "system sounds" volume being initialised to 0 at first
login (perhaps due to g-v-c-a/g-s-d or perhaps due to the canberra
played login sound?)
2. The fact that a "system sounds" volume of 0 changes the system
volume. It should be completely separate from it. I suspect it is
interfering with the flat volume logic in some capacity.

I hope I've written up these two problems clearly.

I've got some Mandriva bug references but I doubt they will add to this
at present.

   Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]