[pulseaudio-discuss] mythtv uses oss

niv waizer nivwiz at gmail.com
Sat Aug 22 03:14:05 PDT 2009

Hi all,
I got these two issues:
1. When I load my tv card an audio device is created at card1. so
mythtv needs to record the audio separately from the video. mythtv
uses oss for audio recording, and this also works with the alsa oss
emulation.
I asked at the myth irc forum, and was told that when the myth
recorder starts they disable pulse, to avoid problems accessing the
audio device.
* Is there an option to tell pulse not to include a certain device
when it probes HAL or udev?
I think that this mythtv disable feature is causing me problems as
when I want to start a new audio play , and mythtv started to record,
pulse will not start.

did anyone tested mythtv and pulse using a tv card like me ?

2. whenever I start a new pulseaudio run, like after loging in, the
audio in the pavucontrol appears beyond 100% I mean 120,263 and even
1612% , I hear the audio at full volume and distorted. I then move the
knob and the audio gets the correct settings.
 cat /proc/asound/cards
 0 [ICH5           ]: ICH4 - Intel ICH5
                      Intel ICH5 with ALC850 at irq 17
 1 [SAA7134        ]: SAA7134 - SAA7134
                      saa7133[0] at 0xf3105000 irq 16
 3 [U0x46d0x8c5    ]: USB-Audio - USB Device 0x46d:0x8c5
                      USB Device 0x46d:0x8c5 at usb-0000:00:1d.7-1, high speed
I am using 0.9.16_rc4-r51 (test4)
 uname -r  2.6.29-gentoo-r5
regards,
Niv