[pulseaudio-discuss] Sending all audio out S/PDIF

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 27 19:41:07 PDT 2009

On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 8:22 PM, Nasa<nasa01 at comcast.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Earlier this month in a thread titled Pulse -> ALSA:spdif broken on my Fedora 10 system there was discussion on how to send audio
> out the digital (ie spdif) port.  At the end of the thread I gathered that adding the following to the default.pa file would do the trick...
>
> load-module module-alsa-sink devie=spdif
>
> However, I haven't had much luck -- getting the following errors:
>
> Failed to parse module arguments
> E: module.c: Failed to load  module "module-alsa-sink"
>

> Could someone enlighten me on what I am missing?
>
> I am attempting to send all of my audio out of my spdif port, and I do expect to have to do some mixing at some point. Why? audio in my car is done via spdif and I expect to have audio for both music and gps directions at the same time.  Is this going to be possible?  Thanks
> in advanced.
>
> Nasa

That was my thread. I'm not sure if any of the arguments are optional
so you may try copying mine in its entirety. Something like:

load-module module-alsa-sink device=spdif format=s16le rate=44100
channels=2 sink_name=digital

Two things, at the time I commented out "load-module
module-hal-detect" so the digital out would be the only device
available. Also, make sure your receiver can handle 44.1kHz PCM audio.
If it doesn't work try using "48000" instead.

Richard