[pulseaudio-discuss] Sending all audio out S/PDIF

Nasa nasa01 at comcast.net
Fri Aug 28 19:10:06 PDT 2009

----- "Lennart Poettering" <lennart at poettering.net> wrote:

> or
> > > directory
> > >
> > > That output suggests everything is fine an PA was able to
> configure
> > > your device just fine.
> > >
> > > Lennart
> >
> > So I am guessing this means something is wrong with ALSA....
>
> What brings you to that conclusion? Doesn't the spdif device show up
> in pavucontrol?
>
> Lennart
The distro I am trying to use is attempting to be as small as possible, so pavucontrol
wasn't installed -- which I corrected.  After some playing around,  I discovered a couple
of things...

1. the hal modules seemed to *override* my default module.  End result was it would start off
with spdif and then switch to something else.  This was solved by commenting out the hal
modules.
2. I will need to figure out a better place to start pulseaudio -- I have it set to the session option
so when the user starts pulseaudio I get sound (ie: out of a tty) but not in the graphical frontend, which
is started at bootup and pulseaudio is a service also started at bootup.  I figure the fix is either have the
service run as the user or start pulseaudio from .xsession (any issues with either solution?)

Again thanks for the info/help

Nasa