[pulseaudio-discuss] Sending all audio out S/PDIF

Nasa nasa01 at comcast.net
Sat Aug 29 06:08:48 PDT 2009

----- "Lennart Poettering" <lennart at poettering.net> wrote:

> On Sat, 29.08.09 02:10, Nasa (nasa01 at comcast.net) wrote:
>
> > 1. the hal modules seemed to *override* my default module.  End
> > result was it would start off with spdif and then switch to
> > something else.  This was solved by commenting out the hal modules.
>
> It doesn't 'override'. It just duplicates configuration of the audio
> devices if you do it once manually and once via the hal
> autodetection. Either use manual or autoconfiguration, not both.
>
> If you use at least pa 0.9.15 you can use the "configuration" tab in
> pavucontrol and select spdif there, no need to manually configure
> anything.
>
> > 2. I will need to figure out a better place to start pulseaudio --
> > have it set to the session option so when the user starts
> pulseaudio
> > I get sound (ie: out of a tty) but not in the graphical frontend,
> > which is started at bootup and pulseaudio is a service also started
> > at bootup.  I figure the fix is either have the service run as the
> > user or start pulseaudio from .xsession (any issues with either
> > solution?)
>
> The recommended way to start PA is via
> /etc/xdg/autostart/pulseaudio.desktop (for x11 sessions) and
> autospawning (for the console and as extra safety net).
>
> In fact PA upstream installs itself that way out-of-the-box...

I am starting the frontend via mingetty/xsession -- so I don't think
the autostart option would work...

I can start it from xsession -- but it doesn't work.  I can't play audio
from anything within the X session, but if I kill the X session I can do a
"pulseaudio --check" and/or play audio -- and both basically work  (although
the sound can be cracking some of the time).

BTW: it seems if pulseaudio dameon isn't started, mplayer will start it any
ways when attempting to play an audio file...