[pulseaudio-discuss] PulseAudio on MacOSX

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Aug 31 16:26:07 PDT 2009

On Sun, 30.08.09 03:21, Jason A. Donenfeld (Jason at zx2c4.com) wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm wondering the status of PA on OSX. The latest SSE commits cause the
> compile to fail, but checking out a revision before those compiles fine.
> Unfortunately, it segfaults when running. What's the timeline for OSX
> support in PA?

There is no timeline.

Every now and then in the past people staretd to work on porting PA to
MacOSX but unfortunately nobody really pushed all the way through with
with this.

Some patches have been merged that allowed PA to compile on MacOS at
those times. But there never was an output module so it probably was
not useful for much.

> (which crash my router)? Or what about using PA's raop sink and making OSX
> emulate airtunes? Unfortunately, PA doesn't seem to support Airfoil. Links
> and whatnot are in this blog entry:
> http://blog.jasondonenfeld.com/188 .

I have no idea what airfoil is. If you use PA's raop support it will
allow PA to contact an Airport and make its audio device available for
local clients. PA in this way acts as iTunes compatible client.

The other way round, i.e. making PA act as Airport audio device cannot
be implemented right now, since Apple is an evil company and uses
cryptography to dongle iTunes and the Airport together and only one of
the two cryptographic keys have been recovered.

> Anyone have suggestions? How can I play audio from linux out of
> speakers on OSX via PulseAudio?

I'd suggest porting PA to MacOSX and finish it.

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net