[pulseaudio-discuss] State of OS X port

Christopher James Halse Rogers raof at ubuntu.com
Tue Dec 8 15:12:32 PST 2009

On Tue, 2009-12-08 at 11:58 +0100, Daniel Mack wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 08, 2009 at 09:10:53AM +0000, Colin Guthrie wrote:
> > 'Twas brillig, and João Paulo Rechi Vita at 08/12/09 02:01 did gyre and
> > gimble:
> > > All Enlightenment is written in pure C (GNU 99).
> >
> > So if the consensus is C, is there really much point in wrapping up the
> > libpulse c library with another c library? Would it really add that much
> > shared code?
>
> Don't know how much of the Code needed in the GUIs is actually
> implemented in libpulse. I didn't have any close look yet at all.

As someone who has been (slowly) writing a C# wrapper for libpulse with
the initial purpose of providing a volume-control... I don't think
there's much extra code that could be usefully added to libpulse for
writing GUIs.  It's currently pretty simple to do all the pulse
interaction required.

The only libpulse feature-requests I could think of are related to
server event subscription, and would be:
1) The ability to attach more than one event callback, with per-callback
event subscription flags
2) The ability to subscribe to events for a single sink/source/object.

Both of these are trivially implementable on top of the existing
libpulse, though.