[pulseaudio-discuss] Latest source for pulseaudio works great!

Daniel Chen seven.steps at gmail.com
Sat Dec 12 07:28:26 PST 2009

On Sat, Dec 12, 2009 at 10:21 AM, Bill Cox <waywardgeek at gmail.com> wrote:
> I downloaded from git the latest pulseaudio repository and recompiled
> on Ubntu Lucid.  The speech performance is excellent!  There are
> several goobers that we already had when disabling pulseaudio: the
> volume control disappears, the volume starts muted after boot, and I'm
> sure the other usual stuff.

Tracking origin/master is not the same as the latest stable -- 0.9.21,
which is in Lucid -- but I'm highly keen to narrow down what the
source of performance differences is.  How are you compiling?  Which
build-dependencies do you have installed?

> Based on this, I'm strongly recommending that Ubuntu update to the
> latest pulseaudio for Lucid!  The current 1/2 second delay makes
> Ubuntu terrible for anyone who needs a screen reader (Orca).  Updating
> packages should fix this!

As explained above, Ubuntu already carries the latest stable, and the
differences to origin/master HEAD aren't significant (other than dbus,
eq).

-Dan