[pulseaudio-discuss] ALSA-emulation for multiple devices

Michał Sawicz michal at sawicz.net
Sat Dec 12 13:20:33 PST 2009

Dnia 2009-12-12, sob o godzinie 15:58 -0500, Brian J. Murrell pisze:
> Which is fine for single audio stream applications, but as OP
> mentioned,
> his app has two different reasons to want audio.  One for the
> "telephone
> ring" which he wants on speakers and one for voice audio which he
> wants
> a different on a different device.
>
> I'd be surprised if pulse has not provided applications that use pulse
> directly the ability to do this kind of per-stream identification, but
> until all such applications can be written to take advantage to that,
> it
> would be nice/interesting in the meanwhile for pulse to provide
> multiple
> ALSA "devices" for applications that need/can use multiple devices.

Of course, sorry, I didn't read carefully enough.

AFAIK there's currently no way to do that... It would indeed be nice if
Pulse provided subdevices (one for each available sink) for alsa apps.

As for native Pulse I believe media roles are designed to achieve that
[1]. So that a ring would be of role 'Event' and the actual speech would
be of role 'Phone'. This has the additional advantage of allowing Pulse
to pause / mute media sounds when a VOiP call comes in.

[1]
http://www.pulseaudio.org/wiki/ApplicationProperties#PA_PROP_MEDIA_ROLE

--
Cheers