[pulseaudio-discuss] ALSA-emulation for multiple devices

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Sun Dec 13 04:19:57 PST 2009

'Twas brillig, and Ng Oon-Ee at 13/12/09 11:34 did gyre and gimble:
> Looks good. Wouldn't this work for skype as well? Though AFAIK currently
> it doesn't even give the option to use alsa if pulse is running.

Skype correctly identifies it's streams as Event role verses Phone role
(not yet in public beta but will be released very soon I believe).

I've asked the Skype developers to remove the whole display of the three
dropdowns when Skype is detected and just display some text instead
reading something like:

"Your audio preferences are handled by your desktop environment. Please
use the approprate tools provided by your desktop environment to
configure your audio preferences."

This is, IMO very much the correct way to proceed :)

Exposing the individual preferences as separate ALSA devices is IMO not
the right way as it encourages configuration in individual apps rather
than allowing the user to use one single, central and familiar GUI to do
everything they need with sound (which is something we should all aim for).

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]