[pulseaudio-discuss] Play/repeat a sample loaded on the pulseaudio server

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Thu Dec 17 01:40:49 PST 2009

On Tue, 24.11.09 17:53, Marc-André Lureau (marcandre.lureau at gmail.com) wrote:

> Hi
>
> On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 5:30 PM, Joan Bertran <jbertran9 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > It would be great if pa_context_play_sample_with_proplist could especify a
> > number to repeat the sound,
> > perhaps a property into proplist.
> > So any feedback on the idea and orientation on how to implement the loop?
> >

> This is something we have discussed in the past. I guess a patch would
> be welcome.
>
> A property is usually used for the context. However, there are already
> two different functions. And after the volume, the sink, the loop
> count, we might want to introduce, I don't know, other effects and
> what's not. So perhaps a first patch using a property would be a good
> idea. At least you could get started easily this way.
>
> Handling gap-less looping might be a bit tricky, even in server-side,
> you are warned :)

Actually I think that playing looping sounds from the cache can
actually be implemented very very efficiently and easily on the server
side. The reason I haven't done it yet is the simple fact that looping
pulls in a lot of other complexity if done properly. (i.e. keeping
track of clients, api to stop looping, and so on)

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net