[pulseaudio-discuss] Pulseaudio in general - does it make sense?

Vadim Peretokin vperetokin at gmail.com
Tue Dec 22 08:57:43 PST 2009

Everyone has their viewpoint.

Gaming in Ubuntu Karmic is quite an unpleasant experience due to the
ALSA<->PA plugin making games die / have really stuttering sound. Nobody
cares about it atm "until after the holidays", so I'm still waiting on that
for a resolution...

I have a USB headset, and no, the first time plugged in PA did nothing. I
had to manually change the input and output streams to the USB headset to
make my apps work. Worse than that, I'm not able to specify a default one -
so for every new app, I have to set it to my headset. To make matters more
fun, PA will reset (at some condition which I don't agree with and doesn't
help my use case) to my onboard sound card.

Oh and the new teamspeak 3 that just came out completely fails to work on
ubuntu karmic. Just hogs all CPU and dies when you try to record any sound
in it.

But hey, on the bright side, recordmydesktop doesn't bork out with "someone
is already using the sound card" problem.