[pulseaudio-discuss] Two outputs

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Tue Dec 22 12:34:38 PST 2009

'Twas brillig, and Josu Lazkano at 22/12/09 16:41 did gyre and gimble:
> Hello everybody! I have a HTPC connected to the TV and to an sound
> amplifier, I have configured the output from optical. But I need to hear
> too on the headphones, is it possible?

Yes and no :)

By default, during PA startup we will probe your h/w to see what devices
can be accessed at the same time - this typically relates to
output+input at the same time as some hardware will allow e.g. 5.1
output but only when stereo input is disabled (as the chip's logic - and
often the physical 3.5mm connectors - are shared).

What we do not currently do is probe to see if we can open a given cards
different outputs at the same time. Again much hardware out there only
allows one output to be used at a time - either analog or digital - but
not both. A lot of hardware does allow both to be used and I'm guessing
yours is capable of this?

So, with the above explanation in mind you can presumably switch your
profile of your card in PA to use some form of "Digital Output" profile
(typically you'd use pavucontrol or gnome-sound-preferences to adjust
this but you can also use the pacmd on the command line - I presume
you've done this already as you said you've configured the output from
optical).

Now as PA will not add individual sinks for both the digital and analog,
you'll have to load a separate module-alsa-sink for the other one you
want - e.g. if auto-detection will load digital, you should add a
separate sink for analog.

Once you have both sinks loaded, you can use module-combine to create a
virtual output that will allow you to output to both analog and digital
at the same time.

I hope this helps.

Col