[pulseaudio-discuss] PulseAudio disables many soud apps

Joerg Anders jan at informatik.tu-chemnitz.de
Wed Dec 23 01:29:07 PST 2009

Hi all!

I'm convinced you are all very proud and happy of PulseAudio.
But read what I had to write to the many NtEd

(http://vsr.informatik.tu-chemnitz.de/staff/jan/nted/nted.xhtml)

users which have no hardware MIDI synthesizer und rely
to TiMidity++

   (http://timidity.sourceforge.net/)

http://vsr.informatik.tu-chemnitz.de/staff/jan/nted/doc/ch01s50.html

This text is an own chapter of the NtEd documentation.
Many users wrote me they cannot longer use the NtEd replay.

And indeed, as I installed Ubuntu 9.10 or Fedora 11, respectively,
  - where Pulsaudio is the basic audio system -
I experienced sound distortions and hanging sound.

The only remedy: Wipe out PulseAudio! Sometimes it suffices
to create a Non-PulsAudio-TiMidity++ "by hand". But in some
tougher cases the only way is to remove PulseAudio from system.

I'm convinced there are still more sequencer-like applecations
which have the same problem.

--
J.Anders, GERMANY, TU Chemnitz, Fakultaet fuer Informatik