[pulseaudio-discuss] Accessing audio as root

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Thu Dec 24 08:29:37 PST 2009

On Wed, 23.12.09 15:26, Halim Sahin (halim.sahin at freenet.de) wrote:

> Hi Col,
> 1. I gave you some examples what doesn't work as expected.
> How should I run my text-to-speech server before login to have
> audiooutput for reading the login screen?

On Fedora at least the screenreader runs as normal process in the gdm
pseudo-session which also happens to run a PA instance. So everything
should be fine here, and I am quite sure this is not only done on
Fedora this way but all other distributions that use a current version
of gdm. Of course, if you use KDE things might be different...

> 2. Running daemons worked well under alsa (see my previous post).
> I am using every day this setup.

Running PA doesn't mean ALSA is out of the game. PA builds on ALSA and
as such everything you could do with ALSA before stays available with
PA too.

However input output deamons should definitely be part of the user
session. That is true for PA itself AND any kind of speech daemon and suchlike.

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net