[pulseaudio-discuss] PulseAudio disables many soud apps

David Henningsson launchpad.web at epost.diwic.se
Thu Dec 24 18:38:14 PST 2009

Joerg Anders wrote:
> users which have no hardware MIDI synthesizer und rely
> to TiMidity++
>
>   (http://timidity.sourceforge.net/)
>
> http://vsr.informatik.tu-chemnitz.de/staff/jan/nted/doc/ch01s50.html
>
> This text is an own chapter of the NtEd documentation.
> Many users wrote me they cannot longer use the NtEd replay.
>
> And indeed, as I installed Ubuntu 9.10 or Fedora 11, respectively,
>  - where Pulsaudio is the basic audio system -
> I experienced sound distortions and hanging sound.

Hi Joerg,
please configure Timidity to use the esound protocol. The standard way
of doing that in Ubuntu 9.10 is documented here:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebuggingSoundProblems/KarmicCaveats#timidity

Please try it - if it works, update the NtEd documentation, if it
doesn't, report back here.

Btw, I can personally recommend FluidSynth as an alternative to
Timidity. I think it renders soundfont files better than Timidity, and
it also has a native PulseAudio driver. I'm a bit biased though :-)

// David