[pulseaudio-discuss] What is corking?

David Henningsson launchpad.web at epost.diwic.se
Thu Dec 24 18:57:44 PST 2009

Hi,

I triage some sound bugs in Ubuntu and for one user I found the
following lines in the "pulseaudio -vvvv" log:

D: sink-input.c: Requesting rewind due to corking
D: module-suspend-on-idle.c: Sink alsa_output.default becomes idle,
timeout in 5 seconds.
D: sink-input.c: Requesting rewind due to uncorking
D: module-suspend-on-idle.c: Sink alsa_output.default becomes busy.
D: protocol-native.c: Requesting rewind due to rewrite.
D: sink-input.c: Requesting rewind due to corking
D: module-suspend-on-idle.c: Sink alsa_output.default becomes idle,
timeout in 5 seconds.
D: sink-input.c: Requesting rewind due to uncorking
D: module-suspend-on-idle.c: Sink alsa_output.default becomes busy.
D: protocol-native.c: Requesting rewind due to rewrite.
D: protocol-native.c: Requesting rewind due to rewrite.

These lines keep repeating themselves over and over again (at least 20
times), sometimes with multiple "Requesting rewind due to rewrite" lines.

So, can someone explain a little bit what this is all about? Is it
something to worry about? I think it happens during regular playback.
I'm not a native English speaking person, so I don't even know what
"corking" means in this context (and "define:corking" on Google didn't
help much...).

Thanks in advance,

// David